To Drink or Not to Drink
Discussion Topic: To Drink or Not to Drink
For a long time mothers have been warned about drinking any amount of alcohol while pregnant for fear of their child being born with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS). ”There is no known safe amount of alcohol use during pregnancy or while trying to get pregnant. There is also no safe time during pregnancy to drink. All types of alcohol are equally harmful, including all wines and beer. When a pregnant woman drinks alcohol, so does her baby.” (citation is missing). However, over the past few years reports are starting to come out stating that a couple of glasses of wine a week during pregnancy is okay. In fact, some doctors are saying this can be healthy for the baby because it relaxes the mother and lowers her level of stress.Before you start this week’s discussion find at least one article from the online library database about FAS and pregnancy. See the search method below. Then consider one of the online articles (links) below. Does it oppose or support your journal article? Then answer the following questions:
- What are the symptoms and long-term prognoses for a child born with FAS?
- What are the risks to the baby if the mother suffers from chronic stress throughout the pregnancy?
- Based on all you have read do you feel that the benefits of lowered stress levels by the mother outweigh the minor risks of drinking a glass of wine on a regular basis?
- Make sure to support your point of view with information from the source(s) you read.
- Required: Peer-Reviewed Academic Journal article.
Week 1 library suggested article search method:
- Sign in to the online library.
- Databases–>ProQuest–>pregnancy and fetal alcohol syndrome (all subjects and indexing)
- Limit to full-text peer-reviewed scholarly journals
A peer-reviewed article is required. Any of the following are possible resources for your discussion. How do they agree with or conflict with your peer-reviewed article?
Note: Remember to cite a source in your primary post. Also, refer to the Psychology Discussion Requirements listed under Getting Started.
"Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."