This week you will examine research that applied theories of health behavior at the interpersonal level. A major assumption at this level is that individuals behave in healthy or unhealthy ways largely due to the influence of significant people in their lives. Other people share their thoughts and feelings, give advice, and provide emotional support and assistance, all of which can influence an individual’s behavior. These significant others represent the influence of the social environment in which an individual exists. They are typically family members and friends, but they can also be peers, coworkers, health professionals, and other social groups who are similar and/or influential to the individual (U.S. Department of Heatlh and Human Service, 2005).
U.S. Department of Heatlh and Human Service, (2005). Theory at a glance: A guide for health promotion practice. (2nd ed.). Retrieved from https://cancercontrol.cancer.gov/brp/research/theories_project/theory.pdf
- Review Chapter 8: Social Cognitive Theory in your textbook. Consider the constructs of this theory and how they relate to the interpersonal level of influence.
- Review your assigned article.
- Review the Research Article Review worksheet located in the Learning Resources for the specific article you were assigned.
- Familiarize yourself with the questions on the worksheet prior to reading the article
Name: [Type your name here.]
Martin Ginis, K. A., Latimer, A. E., Arbour-Nicitopoulos, K. P., Bassett, R. L., Wolfe, D. L., & Hanna, S. E. (2011). Determinants of physical activity among people with spinal cord injury: A test of Social Cognitive Theory. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 42(1), 127–133. doi:10.1007/s12160-011-9278-9
1. Read the research article, which you will access from the Walden Library databases.
2. Type your answers under each question. The space between questions will expand as you write your response.
3. Be sure to type your full name above.
4. Save the worksheet as: WK3_RAR_SCT3_[your last name_first name initial]
(for example: WK3_RAR_SCT3_Gallien_T)
1. In the introduction of the article, which Social Cognitive Theory (SCT) constructs did the authors identify as being predictive of physical activity behavior in “various able-bodied populations”?
2. How did the authors measure the specific SCT constructs examined in the current study?
3. How was physical activity behavior among the study participants measured?
4. Based on the results of the study, which SCT constructs were predictors of physical activity among the study participants? Describe each construct’s ability to predict the behavior.
5. What suggestions did the authors give for the development of effective interventions to increase physical activity among people with physical disabilities, such as spinal cord injury?
6. Describe any differences in your ability to analyze the article in Week 3 compared with Week 2.
7. Were you able to overcome the challenge you identified in Week 2 by using your plan to overcome it? Explain why or why not.
"Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."