Hiring Manager Challenge Discussion Board
11 unread reply.11 reply.
IDS4890Hiring Manager Challenge
This is a role-playing activity that challenges you to imagine the perspective of a hiring manager faced with a big decision and limited information.
The set up:
You work for the City of Plantation Florida and your boss has decided to expand the team. She puts you in charge of hiring a competent person with, as she puts it, “potential.”
Then she hands you a job ad and a stack of 11 resumes. “Pick two of these,” she says, “And we’ll bring them in for an interview.” We can forward the others to HR so they can be considered for future openings. But I don’t want to send all nine of the remaining candidates to HR. So, let me know who was at the very bottom of your ranking. We won’t forward that person’s resume.”
You go home and snuggle with your honey. “Best day ever,” you announce, “My boss really trusts me to make important decisions. One of the two people who I pick will be our new hire. Also, I have to identify the worst applicant and throw him or her out of the employer’s applicant pool.”
Your honey sits up and gives you a serious look, “Wow,” says Honey, “Your boss is really testing your judgment. The person you help hire may be around for years. The money you spend on that person’s salary will come from a limited budget. The work your team does is pubic facing; I mean, if this person isn’t suited for the team’s work, everyone will know and trace it all back to you. Also, who are you throwing out of the applicant pile; your decision there matters too. Jeez, I hope you don’t screw this up.”
- Step 1. Carefully review the job ad
- Step 2. Look over the resumesActions and make your selections
- Step 3. Write an email to your boss, briefly explaining and ranking your top picks. Who did you pick and why? This email is your report. Here is a report template. You can use this or write the email using only your own words. Your email-to-the-boss report must be at least 250 words long.
- Step 4. Post your email-to-the-boss report on the Week 5 discussion board
- Step 5. As you read other people’s posts, do you become more or less sure of your initial answer? You may want to go back to amend your initial post. Be sure to explain what helped change your mind.
Hiring Manager Challenge Report Frequently Asked Questions:
You: Can I work with a friend in class on this activity?
Me: Yes, that kind of effort is called collaborative learning. This is the kind of assignment where collaborative learning often works well. You and your classmate can exchange ideas and perceptions about the work. I hope you’ll find someone to collaborate with!
You: Okay, so do we each get our own grade?
Me: Yes, you work together but then post separately. If you work with a friend or two, write to let me know by adding this sentence at the end of your post for this week. I worked with ____________ to think and talk through this work.”
You: So, wait my friends and I can submit the same email-to-the-boss report and that’s not cheating or plagiarism?
Me: Well, if you submit the same report, then it is likely that one person did most of the learning. We’ve all been on teams where one person does all or most of the writing and everyone else just copies that person’s work. Don’t do that here. You have a capable brain; and you learned by working through this activity. Write your own email-to-the-boss report – in consultation with a friend or classmate. This class is about you.
Here’s how you’ll be assessed on this assignment:
Content: Did you follow all parts of the instructions, including the minimum word count? Is your submission thorough and complete? (10 points)
- Quality: Does your post seem to indicate effort? Does it seem like you proofread? If the instructions ask you to make connections, do you? (4 points)
- Peer Responses: Do you make quality comments on your peers’ posts, paying attention to instructions about commenting? (6 points)
Search entries or author
"Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."